Nut Roll With Litchi Ice Cream
Introduction: Ice cream and nut roll are two delightful treats that have been enjoyed by people for generations. Individually, they are both delicious, but when combined, they create a flavour sensation that is out of this world. While nut roll is a wonderful treat on its own, it can also be elevated to the next level by serving it with a scoop of ice cream.
There are few things in life that are as satisfying as a warm, flaky nut roll paired with a scoop of cold, creamy ice cream. Whether it’s the creamy sweetness of the ice cream paired with the nutty crunch of the roll or the contrast between the cold and the warm, these two treats complement each other perfectly.
Table of Contents
Popularity of Nut Roll & Classic Pastry:
Nut roll is a type of delicious classic pastry which is savoured in many countries, including Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic. They are also popular in parts of the United States, where there are large populations of people with eastern European heritage. This delicious treat is known for its soft, flaky dough and sweet, nutty filling. These sweet treats are typically filled with a mixture of nuts and sugar, rolled up in a log-shaped dough and baked to perfection.
The nut filling can be made with a variety of different nuts, such as walnuts, groundnuts or almonds. Ice cream is one of the most popular frozen dessert made from a mixture of milk, cream, sugar, and sometimes other ingredients like fruit, chocolate, or nuts. The mixture is churned while freezing to incorporate air and create a smooth and creamy texture. It can be served on its own or as a topping for other desserts such as cakes or pies. It can also be used as an ingredient in milkshakes, smoothies, and other beverages.
Nut Roll With Litchi Ice Cream:
But have you ever tried pairing a nut roll with litchi ice cream? The combination of the nutty, slightly sweet pastry with the delicate, floral flavour of litchi ice cream is a match made in dessert heaven. Litchi, also known as lychee, is a tropical fruit that is native to Southern China. It is grown in many countries throughout Asia. It is a small, oval-shaped fruit with a rough, reddish-brown skin that is inedible.
The flesh inside is white or pink in colour and has a sweet, fragrant flavour. Being a rich source of vitamin C, dietary fibre, and antioxidants, litchi is low in calories and fat. This unexpected combination of nut roll and litchi ice cream with its unique flavours and textures will surely delight your taste buds. Let’s explore how these two delectable treats come together to create a truly memorable dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth through a step-by-step guide for making it at home.
Ingredients For Nut Roll:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- 1 tablespoon of instant yeast.
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, at room temperature.
- 1/2 cup of milk, at room temperature.
- 1 cup of chopped almonds.
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts.
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon powder.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, instant yeast, sugar, and salt.
- Then add butter and milk to the dry ingredients and mix well until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the chopped almonds, walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon powder.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle shape.
- Sprinkle the nut mixture evenly over the surface of the dough.
- Starting from the long edge of the rectangle, roll the dough tightly into a log shape.
- Place the rolled dough on a greased baking sheet and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bake the nut roll for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the filling is slightly caramelized.
- Once the nut roll is baked, remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
Ingredients for Litchi Ice Cream:
- 1 can of Litchi (400g).
- 1 cup heavy cream.
- 1 cup whole milk.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Pinch of salt.
- Drain the litchi, reserving the syrup. Puree the litchi in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the pureed litchi, heavy cream, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk together until well combined.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for 10-15 minutes, until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 1/4 cup of the reserved litchi syrup.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow container and place in the freezer.
- After 30 minutes, remove the bowl from the freezer and whisk the mixture thoroughly to break up any ice crystals that may have formed.
- Repeat this process every 30 minutes for the next 2-3 hours, until the ice cream is frozen and has a smooth, creamy texture.
- Cover the container with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Cut the nut roll into slices and serve with a scoop of litchi ice cream on top.
Whether you prefer to enjoy them separately or together, one thing is for sure: ice cream and nut roll are timeless treats that bring joy and comfort to people of all ages, and they will continue to be beloved indulgences for generations to come. So, next time when you’re looking for a sweet indulgence, don’t hesitate to grab a scoop of litchi ice cream and a slice of nut roll, and savour the mouth watering experience that this classic combination has to offer.