Disadvantages of Social Media
The technologies which allow us to share information, pictures and ideas among others things are what we call social media. Whether social media is a boon or a bane is a matter of debate. However, one thing is sure that social media has become an integral part of the lives of people of all ages today. Therefore, it is important for students to understand the advantages as well as disadvantages of social media in order to make the right choice for themselves.
- Top Popular Social Media Websites
- Social Media for a Social Cause Guruji’s tweets a hit on cyber space
- Independent Media & Accessto Information
- Media Sensationalism
- THE ERA OF SUPER APPS
- How to Become a YouTuber ?
- Instagram Trends in 2021
One of the most common terms we come across these days is social media. Somehow, it has become an integral part of our daily lives and in fact many people in the world today are just obsessed with it. A combination of two words, “social” referring to the sharing of information and data with others and “media” refers to the medium of communication, the internet being the most preferred nowadays, the social media is something which has affected almost everyone today.
happen to the most popular social media platforms today.
Every tool has its own share of effects on the society. Social media is also not far behind and has, in fact, affected our society to a larger extent, both in positive as well as in a negative manner. Additionally, though it may sound weird, social media has affected the health of the people as well. There are various ways that social media can have an effect on your wellbeing.
For instance, individuals who are dependent via web-based networking media may encounter negative symptoms, for example, eye strain, social withdrawal or absence of rest. Also, in the event that you invest your energy on social media for exploring issues or contending with individuals, you may encounter pressure, which can negatively affect your wellbeing.
Table of Contents
Disadvantages of Social Media
Social media has a good share in negatively impacting us as well on various grounds. The most affected of the lot is the teens who are also considered as the most vulnerable ones.
- Cyber-bullying: It is considered that a large portion of the youngsters has progressed toward becoming casualties of the cyber-bullying due to the excessive use of social media. Since anybody can make a phoney record and do anything without being followed, it has turned out to be very simple for anybody to menace on the Internet. Dangers, terrorizing messages and bits of gossip can be sent to the majority to make uneasiness and mayhem in the general public.
- Hacking: Personal information and security, which is so readily available on social media platforms can without much of a stretch be hacked and shared on the internet. On previous occasions as well, some facebook, as well as twitter accounts, have been hacked allowing the hacker to post information and data that have influenced the lives of many people. This is one of the risky impediments of the web-based life and each client is encouraged to guard his own information and records to evade such mishaps.
Besides the above stated problems, there are other types of problems as well.
Loss of Memory:
According to a study done on social media, the overuse of social media has the opposite effect on memory. Important information is not safe in the minds of such people. Indeed, in spare time, the brain works for secure information. But even in free time, people are busy in online activities, due to which their mind is not able to relax and it directly affects their memory.
Concentration is Affected:
Even during studies, most of the children focus on the messages and information on their phone, due to which their focus is not on the study. The distraction caused by social media sites such as Facebook, WhatsApp, and Twitter etc. also comes due to disturbances in the academic performance of students.
Negative Effect on Self Esteem:
When children see photos or status messages shared by their friends on social media, they begin to compare their achievements with their friends’ achievements.
A Decrease in Communication Skills:
There is a lack of sociality in the students who are always engaged in online conversation, that is, they avoid communicating face to face with people in private, due to which they lack communication skills while every area of life. Whether in academic or professional field, excellent communication skills are very important as the art of effective communication increases your success percentage.
Gives Anxiety and Stress:
Due to the increasing popularity of social media, the trend of making friends online is also increasing, in which you make a person your friend whom you do not know personally or have never met.There is a lack of trust and the sooner such relationships are formed, the sooner they break up.Because of not being strong enough mentally, such broken relationships in teenagers are of mental anxiety and causes stress, which is a very serious problem.
Some physician opines that excessive use of social media causes a sleep disorder.
Whether social media is a boon or a curse, is a matter of debate. However, one thing which cannot be denied is that it too difficult to abstain from it. The advantages of being connected to people and keeping yourself updated have undoubtedly made our lives faster, happier and convenient at the same time. The challenges which come along with social media can somehow be kept aside and we can definitely move forward with the advancement it has provided today.