What You Must Do Before Giving Dawat
Khan-paan or eating plays a vital role in our day-to-day life. And if we talk of Dawat, then it becomes even more important. On the dining table, we get a chance to see and judge someone’s personality. So on the dining table, from food items to its serving sense, becomes an art.
If you are going with your kids, share with them the protocol, so that you do not face an awkward position in front of the host with regard to behavior of the kids.
Never reach too late. Because the host may also be having some other plans. If at all you are not able to go to Dawat, inform them in time and take apology.
- Mughlai cheese with roomali Roti
- How To Make Palak Saag Recipe at Home With Ease
- How To Make Matar Ka Nimona At Home?
- What You Must Do Before Giving Dawat
- Misi Roti The Key to Your Good Health’s Secret
The etiquettes on the dining table should be such that the host and the guest leave their impressions left on each other. This discipline may be practiced occasionally.
Your table-manners should be visible as a habit and reflect you as a polished person. It thus shows your personality.
Table of Contents
Discipline of the Host
In Indian culture, guest is treated like a God. As the dictum goes Athithi Devo Bhava. So whenever the guests comes in your home for Dawat or to meet you even, welcome them and regard from the core of your heart. Make them feel that they are special for you. When you are inviting someone on Dawat, you have to make preparations for it. Inviting some 10 people for lunch or dinner and serving them is not Dawat.
Making merry, enjoying with each other and spending quality time together is the real meaning of Dawat. So for a successful Dawat, it is necessary to keep some things in mind. First of all, two to three days before the Dawat, clean your home fully because on the day of Dawat you may not get time for this. In addition to your drawing room and dining room, do not forget to clear the toilets also. Sometimes, we see that the house wife is fully dressed but she cannot spare time for the cleanliness of toilets and kitchen.
This leaves bad impression of the housewife. These days, preparing so many items are not in practice. Prepare selected items complementing each other. Do not serve Chinese and Muglai together. Make preparations of the food items one day before so that on the day of Dawat you do not get tense and falling. In Dawat, prepare food items according to breakfast, lunch or dinner. Always serve poori, pakori and roti hot.
Before the food, serve soup. These days vegetarian and non-vegetarian both type of food items are served. Those who do not take non-vegetarian foods should have separate arrangements. Table mat, napkins, salt and black pepper should be kept on the table. If there is shortage of space, you can opt for buffet. About 10 to 15 minutes before serving the food, make it hot and keep them in serving containers. Today hot cases are in practice. In it your food can be kept hot for 6-7 hours.
Sitting arrangement should be made keeping in view the convenience of old persons, young ones and kids. If kids are coming, you have to make special arrangements of their play also, in addition to food, keeping in view their comfort. If you are serving kids, avoid glass utensils. Instead you can go for unbreakable.
It will be comfortable. If you are serving in sitting arrangement, distance between the chairs should be kept such, that they feel ease while talking to each other. Dim light can be there in drawing room but in the dining room you need more light. If you are taking food with kids and elderly people, avoid candle light dinner.
Other Important Things
- When you plan for Dawat always keep in mind seating arrangement and budget.
- Finish your work half an hour before the arrival of the guests.
- Sit and chat with every guest. They have come for recreation also and not for food only.
- Do not show yourself being so busy and tired in front of the guests, they may feel it.
- While seeing off to the guests thank them for their visit and do not give the impression that you have only done the formality of giving Dawat to them.
Discipline of Guests With the Host
The guests should also follow some formalities even if they are visiting occasionally:
- Reach the house of the host in time. It may be 5 to 10 minutes before or after. But never reach there too early because that is a crucial time for the host and he cannot present himself/herself at that time.
- If you are going with your kids, share with them the protocol, so that you do not face an awkward position in front of the host with regard to behavior of the kids.
- Never reach too late. Because the host may also be having some other plans. If at all you are not able to go to DAWAT, inform them in time and take apology. Last but not least, do not forget to praise the food. It is very necessary.
While returning also, again praise the preparations. If at all you are not feeling well, do not be in panic. Take a little part in the discussions. Keep in mind on the dining table do not discuss about your liking and disliking. Keep this discussion for some other time. -RUBY